Jan 6, 2012

EVERNEATH by Brodi Ashton Review


E V E R N E A T H
Author: Brodi Ashton
Release date: January 24, 2012
Publisher: HarperCollins / Balzer + Bray
Add to Goodreads: Link
Rating: 4 Stars

Last spring, Nikki Beckett vanished, sucked into an underworld known as the Everneath, where immortals Feed on the emotions of despairing humans. Now she's returned- to her old life, her family, her friends- before being banished back to the underworld... this time forever.

She has six months before the Everneath comes to claim her, six months for good-byes she can't find the words for, six months to find redemption, if it exists. . .


Everneath started off for me as a book that kept me turning the pages mostly because of the amount of things I didn't know. What exactly is the Everneath? Why did Nikki have to stay huddled with Cole for a century & where? Why did that person betray her? What happened in the past that I don't know about that the rest of the characters in the story do? Among many other questions I had running rampant in my head that day.

I sighed and began to think that this was one of those stories where you're kept completely in the dark until the very last few chapters, and until then you're left wandering aimlessly...confused. BUT this was not one of those books. The more I read the more the pieces began to fit together. And I found as the small details began to materialize in front of me that the story got quite addictive. Now, with most of my questions answered I was able to really think in depth about what was going on between Nik, Cole, and Jack and the mystery that was the Everneath. I still feel like the characters haven't really explored the Everneath, but I'm almost 80% sure we'll find out more about the place in the 2nd book. I have a feeling the protag will want to go take a visit there for awhile (just a guess though!)

At first I had a hard time connecting with the protagonist—Nikki—because of how distant she was. But then later I find that there's a reason for that: Living in the Everneath has drained her of her emotions. As the affects of the Everneath fade Nikki's true character begins to show, and I loved seeing the real her with all her emotions intact. I felt like she was a great heroine. Her actions in this book tell me she's not the type to stand in the background and watch things happen. She caring, and adamant in making her vision become a reality (even if she knows the odds are really against her). I loved Jack! He's not an Everliving with super powers. Just an regular human guy with a great personality. And although Cole was the antagonist of this story, I found myself feeling pity for him throughout the whole book. I pictured him constantly as a hurt puppy. (Don't ask me why). You can tell that he's not entirely evil just by reading the dialogue, and he really cares for Nikki....but he's a bit selfish. He will get what he wants at the expense of other people's lives. But then, he's an Everliving so what do you expect? Overall, I really enjoyed this book and am really incredibly excited to read the next one. Hopefully the wait won't be that long.





Share/Bookmark

35 comments:

  1. I'm really looking forward to this book! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read and reviewed this book and like you I cannot wait for book two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never seen this book but in your blog. I think I am going to check it in Goodreads.

    That new world made me curious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cover is awesome! Thank you for the amazing review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked how the cover showed a bit of what was the story about, and I'm not talking about the synopsis

    =)

    thanks for the review,

    I'm not sure whether I like a "distant" character.

    regards,

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm really looking forward to this book! the cover is beautiful:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved this book- great review. I love the cover of the book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i was a bit afraid for this book but your review rassured me. ( i don't like when we don't understand anything or to hard cliffhanger)

    thanks you for this great review

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review, thank you! Looking forward to read this book!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't wait to read this! I have read so many good reviews about it, which makes me wanna read it more.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for a great review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah, I enjoy the developing character and strong heroines are my favorite.
    This dark and mysterious story looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aaah, sounds like a tempting morsel of a read! I like books that just drops hints every so often and you as the reader have light bulb moments as you fit together all the pieces of what the author is telling you!

    The books sounds very good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Need to read this one. The cover is very attractive. I have seen many positive reviews.

    skovach717@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've been wanting this book since forever! I love the Persephone story, so it's awesome when authors can re-interpret it! I so love the smoky cover. Ooh, I like that Jack is just a regular human. In paranormal books, there should be more human guys! Why can't a normal guy captivate the main girl? :P

    Chen Chang

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for the review! I have seen several reviews for this book and I am looking forward to reading it.

    Rachel V
    pefrw(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great review, i'm really looking forward to reading this book.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great review! I can't wait to read this book! It's near the top of my TBB list!

    elizabeth @ bookattict . com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I haven't been that interested in reading this book but your review changed my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great review. I look forward to reading this book.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good review! I want to read this book *(:

    ReplyDelete
  23. i love the book and cover and then
    i would love to read and blog on it
    desi the blonde@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Whenever I see this bookthe cover really catches my eye. Now that I know what it's about I am putting it at the top of my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great review. This book is going on my to read list.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm looking forward to reading this book.
    Latoya

    ReplyDelete
  27. I've seen this book a couple of times and always thought it was so pretty. It sounds like an intriguing world. I'm thinking I'm going to need to go out and get a copy now :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. The cover is so pretty.I have been wanting to read this too. Thanks for your review now I want to read it even more :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I have been curious about this title for a while - its the cover you see, it is just lovely and I am a bit of a cover girl :) Thank you for sharing your review I am glad you shared about the revelation of the protagonist's personality, sometimes it is hard to get into a story if you just don't care about the character :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you for the review, I'll look forward to reading this one.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thanks for your review. You have given me a lot to think about. When I add your review in with others I have seen, I'm not sure where to put this on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great review! I've been wanting this book for a little while already but now after reading your review I'm really excited for it!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I've got my copy of Everneath coming in the mail soon and I must say that I've enjoyed your very encouraging review. I wasn't sure I'd enjoy it until I started seeing great reviews posted up for it all over the blogosphere, but now I'm anxious to know more about Nikki's story. Thanks for sharing!:)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Although you didn't like the character of Nikki at first because of how distant she is, I feel like there is (or at the very least should be) a reason why a character is the way they are. It's the author's job to let the reader learn why that is and I'm glad to hear that you do learn why Nikki is the way she is.

    Thanks for the review! I am very much looking forward to reading Everneath!

    Pam

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails