Jan 28, 2012

Goddess Interrupted by Aimee Carter REVIEW

 


By: Aimee Carter
Release Date: March 27, 2012
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Source: Publisher
Kate Winters has won immortality.

But if she wants a life in the Underworld with Henry, she’ll have to fight for it.

Becoming immortal wasn’t supposed to be the easy part. Though Kate is about to be crowned Queen of the Underworld, she’s as isolated as ever. And despite her growing love for Henry, ruler of the Underworld, he’s becoming ever more distant and secretive. . .



I'm not going to lie--for the majority of the time I was reading this book I was angry. Really angry. Not angry as in I didn't like it, but angry as in "How could [insert character] do that to [insert character]?" But if a book managed to make me feel so angry that I wanted to rip a character's head off then that's because I was involved in it enough to do so. Which means despite all the things that happened in Goddess Intterrupted and how predictable some of the plot was, I was really engaged in this book.

Why was I so angry? Henry is infuriating.

Everything he does is like a slap in the face to poor Kate--and yet somehow she manages to put up with it. She tries her best to make it work and he keeps pushing her away. Kate's mother basically uses her for most of the book. The only reason she gave birth to her only to become Persephone's replacement, and to keep Henry alive. And whenever Kate thinks about confronting her mother about it she thinks of her mom dying from cancer. The thing is her mother CAN'T die from cancer and she never could because she was immortal, so I didn’t understand why Kate kept bringing it up all the time. Things get even worse once Persephone comes into the picture, Henry's first love who he spent eons mourning over because she dumped him and ran off with Adonis.

Persephone is described as selfish and mean. I expected that since I read the summary, but I kept wishing that there was at least one redeeming quality about her so that I could understand why Henry (and another character I can't say without giving away a spoiler) loved her so much. But there wasn't. Which leads me to the conclusion that a) Henry is a lot more pitiful than I already thought he was for his unrequited love for someone who abandoned him and b) he should appreciate Kate all the more. Unfortunately that does not happen that way until the very end of the book; and after everything he did and said to Kate I still find it kind of hard to forgive him. He has a reason for the way he treated her, but I felt like it could've been foreshadowed more in the earlier parts of the book.

When Kate wasn't worrying constantly whether Henry loved her or not (which takes up whole chapters of the book), I thought her character was strong and engaging to read about. I loved her courage in this book. And the ending, oh the ending. It's one of the biggest cliffhangers I've read so far this year! It was shocking and completely unexpected. With that said, I will be patiently waiting for book 3! :)


Rating:


Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails