May 10, 2012

REVIEW: Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa




Title: The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden #1) 
Author: Julie Kagawa
Pages: 480
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Release Date: 24 April 2012
ISBN: 0373210515
In a future world, vampires reign. Humans are blood cattle. And one girl will search for the key to save humanity."Allison Sekemoto survives in the Fringe, the outermost circle of a vampire city. By day, she and her crew scavenge for food. By night, any one of them could be eaten.








I'm lovin' the fangs!!!
The Immortal Rules is a gripping post-apocalyptic novel set in a world ruled by vampires, and terrorized by the rabids. My first thought upon reading the summary was “Oh god, the vampires are back in town.” It’s like that awkward moment when a neighbor you didn’t like moves back into town. But these were NOT the human-friendly vegetarian vampires we have met in previous YA novels. These vampires were the REAL blood-thirsty psycho-killer man-eating ones. Just how I like it them. :)


So the beginning starts off as a bit slow. You’re introduced to the world that Allie lives in and her family of fellow unregistered humans who are doing their best to survive. I love Allie’s fierceness and her hold on reality. She never buttered things up, she viewed the world as it was but at the same time didn’t waste her time pitying her miserable existence. That’s kind of what sets her apart from all the other unregistered. She’s grounded and on top of that she has a goal and a purpose—to follow her mother’s advice on how to change the world for humanity.

Kanin was a pretty interesting character. Though we don’t know too much about him, he teaches Allie  that what kind of monster you become is totally up for you to decide. Later we meet Zeke. It took awhile for him to appear but when he did I was extremely glad. He automatically brought a bright atmosphere that I felt was needed at that point in the book. He’s kind of like Allie in the way that he’s goal-orientated and believes in something better than the world they live in. He’s an adorable character and contrasts nicely with Allie’s personality.

Overall, The Immortal Rules is a spell-binding read with bite, and characters to route for. Recommended? Definitely. Trust me, You do not want to miss this!


C O V E R   T H O U G H T S :
 
Okay so if you've read the summary for this book you know that the character is obviously Asian and of Japanese descent. So why does the girl on the cover AND the book trailer look like she's of European descent? Seriously cover makers? Her name is Sekemoto. It's not exactly rocket science what her race is. I was really disappointed that the cover makers felt the need to change the race of the character as a marketing strategy. “People are more likely to buy a book if the person on the cover looks like them…blah blah blah” The girl on the cover is a model. Seriously, race aside,  who REALLY looks exactly like a photoshopped model? Whether the girl was Asian or not would not have affected my decision to read this book in the least. I feel like if we, as readers of YA, do not bring problems like these to light more often then it will allow stuff like this to continue. And it is so WRONG on so many levels!

Awesome Quotes:

"You are a monster.” Kanin’s deep voice droned in my head again, as I forced myself to move, to walk away. “You will always be a monster, there is no turning back from it. But what type of monster you become is entirely up to you."


"I wasn't thinking of his blood, rushing just below the skin. I wasn't thinking of his heartbeat or his touch or the pulse at his throat. Right now, all I was thinking of was Zeke."

  R A T I N G :


E X T R A S :
The website made for the series looks pretty darn cool. I highly suggest you check it out!

Share/Bookmark

2 comments:

  1. I wondered why the girl on the cover wasn't asian, too.

    I enjoyed this book. I thought there was a little too much description at times, but that's just a personal preference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, there was a lot of description. Haha, but somehow it didn't bother me as much. I think most of the time I was reading this I was comparing it to the writing in her other series.

      Thanks for stopping by Kelly! :)

      Delete

Related Posts with Thumbnails