Apr 15, 2012

ARC Review: Hemlock by Kathleen Peacock





Title: Hemlock (Hemlock # 1)
Author: Kathleen Peacock
Release Date: 08 May 2012
Pages: 400
Publisher: Katherine Tegan / HarperCollins
Source: Publisher
Status: On Tour
Pre-Order: Amazon | The Book Depository

Hemlock (Hemlock, #1)








I went into reading HEMLOCK not knowing what to expect. All I knew was that I didn't care much for novels with werewolves; in fact, I'd stopped reading them altogether after a particularly bad one about a year ago. I read the back and wondered if the author could pull off writing a story like this and still be able to make it unique and original. At first I had my doubts, but sooner than later I found myself completely engrossed in this book. What I find the most intriguing about this book is the characters. They all have their strengths and their weaknesses; none of them are perfect. I know firsthand how terrible it can be to deal with someone's death, especially a person who was very close to you. People have different ways of handling their grief. For Mac, Jason, and Kyle that's finding Amy's werewolf murderer.

In the world of HEMLOCK those who are infected with Lupine Syndrome are turned into lethal werewolves. When found, turned werewolves are sent away into a government run facility that no one has any clue what goes on in. Then in comes the Trackers; people who have dedicated their lives to finding hidden werewolves, hunting them down, and killing them. Mac has a bad feeling about these people, and for good reason. But for Jason this means a possible chance at avenging the death of his girlfriend who was killed by a werewolf; one that's still on the loose. Throughout the book Mac gradually begins to lose Jason to the trackers, and their intimidating leader.

The pacing of this book kept me on edge. There were times when I felt like punching Jason in the face. And then there were other times where I felt like hugging him. Kyle was a very sweet throughout the book, and I think he might be my second favorite character in the book. The ending and the way things left off between these three was cliff-hanger-rific! I was literally crushed when I got to the last page and realized there weren't any more pages left. Overall, HEMLOCK is a head-spinning novel that you don't want to miss! I highly recommend paranormal readers, especially those like me who had given up on the werewolf genre.

 


ABOUT KATHLEEN
Kathleen spent most of her teen years writing short stories. She put her writing dreams on hold while attending college but rediscovered them when office life started leaving her with an allergy to cubicles. Hemlock, her first novel, will be released on May 8th by Katherine Tegen Books/HarperCollins

Find Kathleen on:


Share/Bookmark

6 comments:

  1. Oh my, sounds so exciting! I love your review! Cannot wait for Hemlock to release :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I can't wait for it's release either. I'm buying a hardcopy when it comes out. :)

      Delete
  2. Uh, bro, I don't dig the wolfies either, but THIS BOOK. I had to request it to read because, first, I COULDN'T GET THE COVER OUT OF MY HEAD, and, second, the characters. I just new they would be enough to balance out my distaste for the wolfies. I'd been hearing all sorts of wonderful things about them, and your review just adds to that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the cover is SO eye-catching! I love the girl's dress and all the details. Lol, I thought I was the only one who wasn't much of a Werewolves fan. The wolfies in this book are really pretty darn interesting though. Read it all in one sitting. :)

      Delete
  3. Great review! I can't wait to read this! It sounds awesome and the cover is so pretty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been wanted to read this book. After reading your book I'm sure now that I have to get it. It sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails