Feb 11, 2011

Across The Universe Review

Release Date: January 11, 2011
Publisher: Razorbill
Author: Beth Revis

A love out of time. A spaceship built of secrets and murder.

Seventeen-year-old Amy joins her parents as frozen cargo aboard the vast spaceship Godspeed and expects to awaken on a new planet, three hundred years in the future. Never could she have known that her frozen slumber would come to an end fifty years too soon and that she would be thrust into the brave new world of a spaceship that lives by its own rules. Amy quickly realizes that her awakening was no mere computer malfunction. Someone-one of the few thousand inhabitants of the spaceship-tried to kill her. And if Amy doesn't do something soon, her parents will be next. Now Amy must race to unlock Godspeed's hidden secrets. But out of her list of murder suspects, there's only one who matters: Elder, the future leader of the ship and the love she could never have seen coming.

My thoughts:

Across the Universe manages to blend sci-fi and dystopian together beautifully. The first chapter of Across the Universe was one of the strongest I’ve read this year. I admit that after the first chapter of the story it bacame a  bit slow and I had to put it down for awhile, but when the story started to pick up in pace I couldn’t put it down a second time.

The setting of ATU is in a spaceship called Godspeed where there are people who have been traveling for hundreds of years, there desination being a  new planet NASA identifies as habitable. Everyone on the ship is mono-ethnic. Most of the people on the ship lack any real emotions, and the few that do have emotions are labeled as crazy.

For the most part I really enjoyed Across the Universe. The premise was interesting and the plot unfolded pretty nicely. I mean, how awful would it be to end up stuck on a ship your whole entire life stuck on a ship where you know you'll never see the sun or the moon or the ocean ever again. I loved the characters! I liked how the book swtiched from Amy's perspective to Elder's. The only setback I had was that I felt like the book wasn’t as exciting as I thought it would be after reading the amazing first chapter. Not to say that the rest of the book wasn’t good, just that it didn’t live up to my expectations.

Overall:


 If you haven't already you can order Across the Universe here on Amazon.
Share/Bookmark

3 comments:

  1. Great review! I agree, felt that the book was a bit disappointing in the end. Still good, but nowhere near as amazing as the first chapter. However, I'm not as keen on the characters - felt that Elder was a bit bland.

    - Ruth from For Every Book A Reader

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep hearing about this book. I should probably go read it some time soon.
    It sounds interesting with switching POV'S

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that the book got a bit slow after the first chapter. Amy got a bit slow too in that she didn't realise that it would take a helluva lot longer than 250 years to get to such a monoethnic population where there are so few physical differences. But oh well! At least we both enjoyed it in the end. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails